Schedule 1: Job Description
The employees Job Description (JD) Includes but is not limited to the following:
Job: Health and Safety Manager
Company: icolo.io has been established with the vision of building a Pan African network of colocation data centers. icolo.io builds and operate state-of-the-art (Tier 3), vendor and carrier neutral data centers to serve a broad spectrum of clients, telecom carriers, ISPs and peering points, IT and cloud providers, content providers and corporates. The company will create a highly connected Data Centre Hub in their countries of operations. It will differentiate itself from providers of hosting services, by being the first independent data center business to focus solely on co-location services (space, power availability and licenses and physical interconnects). It is icolo.io objective to be the largest independent colocation data enter operator in Africa over the next five years.
Job Purpose: The H&S Manager is responsible for developing, maintaining and implementing Company Quality, Health, Safety and Environment (H&S) Management System. The H&S Manager will be fully responsible for implementing safe systems of work and safe behavioral practices at all levels of the organization. This position provides H&S guidance to the organization and supports the operation process in order to maintain and continually improve the safety culture and performance, in line with the organization’s needs to comply with business objectives in the short, medium and long terms and in accordance with the terms of our various contracts and the Integrated Management System
- Develop, implement, and improve H&S management systems, processes, and procedures to support business operations.
- Communicates information on the H&S management system throughout the organisation and promotes H&S awareness through various communication channels i.e. inductions, training, campaigns, flyers, discussions, emails etc. in consultation with all relevant departments.
- Prepare H&S documentation for clients/projects as per the requirements and in consultation with the Operations team.
- Review H&S documents and providing feedback.
- Monitor and ensure implementation of H&S requirements and legislative requirements into Project documentation and working practices to ensure safe systems of work are in place
- Undertake H&S inspections internally and with third parties (contractors) as per the approved inspection program of the company. Sharing of lessons learned, legislative requirements and best practice guidance. Follows up on the preventive and / or corrective actions identified during the inspections and monitors the timely closing of the actions in coordination with other departments.
- Develop, facilitate, and review H&S risk assessments for routine and non-routine activities in consultation with the operations team.
- Record H&S key performance indicators on a monthly basis and issue reports as necessary. Suggest and advise changes to ensure continuous improvement on any additional effective KPIs to be added in the system as part of continual improvement.
- Develop, implement, and encourage the behavioural based safety culture to ensure robust planning and safe production in the organization through safe job observations and continuous inspections.
- Participate in senior leadership walks and assist in reporting.
- Develop and implement site monitoring (Audit / Inspection) programme including projects reports, issuance reports, assigning actions and tracking actions to close out
- Be a visible presence on site with the ability to coach and mentor the engineering team, and support facility managers as and when required with a focus on influencing safe behaviours, risk management and continual improvement of high-risk activities and construction processes with active involvement in improvement suggestions, initiatives, interventions, or campaigns
- Act as ICOLO representative in all regulatory H&S meetings, committees, risk assessment sessions and seminars.
- Diligently performs any other reasonable work or related tasks at the request of his/her manager.
- Measure and report on Environment Health and Safety using globally standard metrics as well as company specific metrics.
- Understand, develop, implement, and follow the Icolo H&S policies.
- Taking the lead on any H&S incident notification, investigation and preparing required reports in consultation with management in accordance with the H&S procedure.
- Timely notification to Project or Facility Managers regarding any concerns / threats to the project success
- Timely notification to Management of any incidents and the work done to resolve.
- Implement and coordinate H&S procedures onsite.
- Being a ICOLO’s Safety Champion on the project and first point of contact for H&S aspects
- Take initiative and always act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Represent ICOLO in a courteous, helpful, and business-like behaviour.
- Maintain an uncompromised level of confidentiality and integrity related to all ICOLO information and operation in general.
- Adhere to and encourage adherence to all corporate policies and procedures.
- Build trust and strong relationships to support and assist ICOLO and externally with customer interface
Teamwork and Collaboration;
- Maintain coordination and effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Deliver training as required based on a training needs analysis.
- Participate in overtime tasks as required from time to time.
Communication and Reporting;
- Produce and update reports within specified time as required.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of H&S data and performing trend analysis.
- Always ensure effective and prompt communication
- Good knowledge of waste management practices and hazards.
- General knowledge of Environmental hazards and H&S principles.
- Innovative and continual improvement mindset.
- Effective problem identification and problem solving
Teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Maximum flexibility due to the nature of work.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict handling skills.
- Good command of written and spoken English and Swahili.
- Able to transfer knowledge to colleagues and interns.
- Ensure proper record keeping.
- Communicate accurately, correctly, timely, effectively and in an appropriate manner using email, documentation and verbally.
Organizing and Reporting
- Excellent planning and organizing skills.
- Excellent workload and time management.
- Excellent report writing skills with attention to detail, correctness, and accuracy with good use of English and technical terminology.
- Able to create new reports and tools for use by employees and management.
Education level and experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in HSE or relevant
- Should hold NEBOSH Diploma, Higher National Diploma in Health and safety
- Proficiency in Microsoft
- 5 - 10 years of proven construction, industrial and preferably data centre experience.
- Auditor (Internal / Lead) – ISO 45001, OHSAS 18001
- Grad IOSH / CMIOSH or equivalent
- CSCS Card / VCA (or equivalent site safety competency card)
- Engineering Bachelor’s/Masters
- NEBOSH Construction Cert (L3)
- IOSH Behavioural Safety
- Incident Investigation
- Environmental Qualification